It was the annual Macmillan bake sale at work on Friday and my contribution was these bad boys. Alert!! You will find chocolate in every part of these cupcakes, the cakes chocolate chipped, it’s in the filling, buttercream and on top. These little (big) treats may look a bit tricky to make but were actually very easy, and I only had a whisk and a wooden spoon (I really am in need of a kitchen aid, a girl can dream).
You will need:
- 225g Butter, melted
- 225g Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 100g Chocolate Chips
- 1 jar of Nutella
for or the buttercream/ toppings:
- 300g butter, soft
- 450g Icing sugar
- 2 bars of Bueno, broken into the individual pieces
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter, milk and sugar until well combined then one by on add the eggs and whisk in.
- Mix in the flour until you have a nice thick cake mix.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Nutella and the chocolate chips and stir in until the chocolate chips are evenly spread out.
- Line a muffin tray with cupcake cases, add a dessert spoon of mix to each of the cases.
- Top the cake mix with a heaped teaspoon of Nutella and then top each one with another spoon of cake mix.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins until the cakes are golden and spring back up when softly pressed down.
- Transfer the cakes onto a wire rack to cool.
- While the cakes are cooling to make the buttercream mix together the butter, icing sugar and the rest of the Nutella from the jar until a light fluffy light brown buttercream is formed.
- When the cakes are cooled pipe on the buttercream and top with a piece of Bueno. Voila!!
Last weekend it was birthday time, which means…. Cake time!!!!! Or cupcake time in this instance. For my dad’s birthday I decided on cupcakes but to go down a classic Victoria sponge route, then I couldn’t decide on strawberry or chocolate, strawberry or chocolate, strawberry or chocolate. Cue brainwave….. I’ll do both.
This recipe makes 24 cupcakes, 12 strawberry and 12 chocolate. After all, when there’s your family and a cake fiend boyfriend to feed there can never be too much.
You will need:
- 350g Self Raising Flour
- 350g Butter
- 350g Caster Sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 tablespoons Baking Powder
- 500ml Double Cream
- 12 heaped teaspoons Strawberry Jam
- 12 Strawberries
- 12 heaped teaspoons Nutella
- 12 chunks of Chocolate
- 1 tablespoon Icing Sugar
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- One by one mix in the eggs until thoroughly mixed in. Add the vanilla essence and mix.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder until a thick cake mix is formed.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake cases.
- for the strawberry, add a heaped teaspoon of cake mix to each of the cases, then add a heaped teaspoon on strawberry jam on top of the mix, then add another heaped teaspoons of cake mix to top it all off.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 mins until golden and the cakes spring back up when lightly pressed.
- for the chocolate, repeat the same process as the strawberry except use Nutella in the place of strawberry jam.
- When the cakes are cooled its time to decorate. Whip up the double cream and icing sugar until stiff and forms peaks. Using a piping bags pipe the cream onto each of the cupcakes.
- Top each one with a strawberry or chunk of chocolate and enjoy!!
You will notice that these cupcakes use fresh cream and strawberries so won’t last as long as other cupcakes, not that we ever have a problem I’m our house.