Hurrah, it’s getting colder and it’s pie time, yes yes yes!!! As an alternative to Sunday roast I love a good old Cottage Pie, rich, meaty and covered in bubbling cheese. Served with my Yorkshire puddings this goes down a treat and makes enough for leftover snap to take to work. This recipe is for 2 so just add more ingredients if you have more mouths to feed.
You will need:
- 250g lean Minced Beef
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Onion
- 2 Rich Beef Stock cubes
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- good glug of Hendersons Relish
- 300ml water
- 1 tablespoon Bisto Beef Gravy Granuals
- 5 Potatoes
- Butter and Milk for Mash Potato
- Salt and Pepper to season
- 150g Mature Cheddar, grated
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Finely dice the onion and carrots and fry over a medium heat for 5 mins until the onions start to turn translucent, turn up the heat and add the mince to the pan.
- While the meat is cooking, peel and chop the potatoes and start to boil to make the mash.
- Once the mince is cooked, add the stock cubes, herdersons, salt, pepper and water to the pan, turn down the heat and simmer. Add the gravy granuals to the pan and turn off he heat, mix until the liquid starts to thicken and transfer to an oven proof dish. (I know it’s a bit of a cheat move but it’s just an easy way to thicken the gravy and add more meaty flavour, forgive me?)
- After 10- 15 minutes of boiling the potatoes should be soft enough to drain and mash, then cream in the milk and butter and season.
- Top the meat mix with the mash flatten down, then sprinkle over cheese (of which I like to use a lot) and bake for 30 mins until the cheese is golden and the pie is bubbling. Mmmmmm.
- Serve with veg and Yorkshire puddings. Enjoy!!