Last weekend it was birthday time, which means…. Cake time!!!!! Or cupcake time in this instance. For my dad’s birthday I decided on cupcakes but to go down a classic Victoria sponge route, then I couldn’t decide on strawberry or chocolate, strawberry or chocolate, strawberry or chocolate. Cue brainwave….. I’ll do both.
This recipe makes 24 cupcakes, 12 strawberry and 12 chocolate. After all, when there’s your family and a cake fiend boyfriend to feed there can never be too much.
You will need:
- 350g Self Raising Flour
- 350g Butter
- 350g Caster Sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 tablespoons Baking Powder
- 500ml Double Cream
- 12 heaped teaspoons Strawberry Jam
- 12 Strawberries
- 12 heaped teaspoons Nutella
- 12 chunks of Chocolate
- 1 tablespoon Icing Sugar
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- One by one mix in the eggs until thoroughly mixed in. Add the vanilla essence and mix.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder until a thick cake mix is formed.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake cases.
- for the strawberry, add a heaped teaspoon of cake mix to each of the cases, then add a heaped teaspoon on strawberry jam on top of the mix, then add another heaped teaspoons of cake mix to top it all off.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 mins until golden and the cakes spring back up when lightly pressed.
- for the chocolate, repeat the same process as the strawberry except use Nutella in the place of strawberry jam.
- When the cakes are cooled its time to decorate. Whip up the double cream and icing sugar until stiff and forms peaks. Using a piping bags pipe the cream onto each of the cupcakes.
- Top each one with a strawberry or chunk of chocolate and enjoy!!
You will notice that these cupcakes use fresh cream and strawberries so won’t last as long as other cupcakes, not that we ever have a problem I’m our house.