This is my recipe for my ultimate favourite dip Tzatziki. This is a real taste of holiday and always brings me a sunny feeling. For over 10 years I have holidayed in Cyprus or Greek island where this dip is an ultimate staple. When eating Greek you NEED this dip. I love it.
You will need:
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 300g Greek Yoghurt (full fat, low fat, whatever you fancy)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 15- 20 Fresh Mint Leaves
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 Lemon
- Salt and Pepper to season
- In a preheated oven, roast the whole garlic cloves in an oven proof dish for about 5 mins, take out and allow to cool. This gives the dip the garlic flavour without the sharp raw taste.
- Next, prepare your cucumber. Use half and coarsely grate and finely chop the other half.
- Add a pinch of salt to the cucumber mix and allow to sit for a couple of mins. Squeeze out and drain as much water as you can get out to ensure that the dip isn’t too wet.
- Finely chop the mint and add to the cucumber; I find an easy way of doing this is to pile all the mint leaves up, rolling them together and then chopping it up.
- Once the garlic has cooled, remove its skin and finely chop. Add to the cucumber mix.
- Add the yoghurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper and give a good mix. Taste and add more seasoning if you desire.. and done!!
This is a great simple dip which is great to impress your friends or just to simply ‘pimp up’ your meal and will keep good in the fridge for a fair few days. An instant taste of summer perfect for all year round.