Last night I started to get a bit peckish and just couldn’t shake the thought of the ham hock that I’d brought from the butchers just sat there in the fridge. At about 8 I gave into my cravings and what I managed to conjure up ended up pretty tasty.
What you need:
- 1 large Potato
- 1 Egg
- 2-3 tablespoons of Parmesan
- Salt and pepper to season
- A handful of shredded Ham Hock (this is what I had handy but any cooked ham/ gammon will do the trick.
- Peel and coarsly grate the potato, add a pinch of salt, mix and leave for a couple of mins. This should help release a lot of moisture, to get as much liquid out the potato give it a good squeeze and drain.
- Add the egg and Parmesan to the potato, season with salt and pepper and give it a good mix.
- Add a glug of oil to a large hot frying pan and pour in the mixture. Using the back of a tablespoon flatten the mixture down and push to the outside of the pan so the rosti now covers the whole pan and is about 5mm thick.
- Cook the rosti for about 5 mins on each until golden and crispy and slide out of the pan onto a plate.
- While the pan is still hot add the ham and fry for a few mins until the meat is hot. Top the rosti with the hot ham and enjoy.
Great with some hp but I used my favourite, good old Hendersons!
For extra flavour why not add some mustard to the rosti mix or for more indulgence top with a thick creamy cheese sauce.
Great for using up leftovers or just if you got late night munchies.